Sunday, September 6, 2009

How I Spent My Summer Vacation

It happened faster than I could snap my fingers: Summer has come and gone. Labor Day weekend has arrived and is quickly slipping away, especially for those of us who don't have Monday off. As I sit here and reflect on the last three months, I am abundantly satisfied. I was back at home in the suburbs of Northern Virginia, spending hundreds of hours of quality time with my family. I reunited with some long-time friends (though not as many as I would have liked) and I made some new friends along the way. I had a wonderful internship with the Smithsonian Photography Initiative, where I wrote several posts for The Bigger Picture.

I volunteered with the Fauquier Community Farm, pulling weeds in the hot sun and picking green beans until the clouds broke into a refreshing summer storm.
I traveled to Sewanee,Tennessee to see friends get married, then traveled an hour southeast to Chattanooga for a brief, but rejuvenating visit (including a delicious breakfast). I picked raspberries at Whittier Fruit Farm in Rochester, NY, and peaches and blackberries at Hollin Farm in Delaplane, VA. My mom and I toured Polyface Farm.And last but not least, this evening, I witnessed the spectacular 28th Annual Dansville Festival of Balloons.
Over the course of the summer, I watched some fabulous films including Food, Inc. and Julie and Julia. And I read some great books including Barbara Kingsolver's Poisonwood Bible, Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods, and Barbara Ehrenreich's Nickel and Dimed. I've learned a great deal this summer and am looking forward to working on my thesis in this next year of grad school.

No comments: