Sunday, September 6, 2009

Fresh From the Oven...



For those who don't already know, I began baking my own bread last fall, after a friend gave me a little lesson on the time consuming, but incredibly rewarding custom. Since then, I've experimented with different recipes, all found on the web. And while tasty, my whole wheat loaves were always too crumbly and never quite rose to perfection. Last week on my birthday, my kind friends presented me with Peter Reinhart's Whole Grain Breads book of "innovative techniques and exacting scientific explanations." The very next day I got to work on the first recipe: the 100% Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread. Thanks to the "delayed fermentation method," the result, as seen above, was a delicious loaf with a hint of sourdough flavor, perfect for making sandwiches!

No comments: