Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Rochester 2012 :: Part 4 :: Urban Gardens

I'm back home in Virginia, after visiting my grad school town last week. But I have a few more photos to share, from three edible gardens in the city.

When I was working on my thesis project Slow & Steady, in 2009-2010, I heard a statistic that altogether there are over 60 acres of vacant lots throughout the city of Rochester, NY, that are currently without purpose. They look like this, with the mowed grass and wooden stakes:

Fortunately, the city is working on Project Green, a plan to utilize unused land for purposes of sustainable food and energy production. 

The following photographs show just a few exciting initiatives that have turned fallow land into urban gardens:

MuCCC Garden:



 



















And a separate piece of news… My grad school classmate Nick Marshall curated an exhibition titled My Apocalypse, which opened in Rochester last Friday night. Fortunately my trip coincided with this awesome event and I took some photos which are up on the My Apocalypse blog. If you are in Rochester over the next month, be sure to check it out!

No comments: