Thursday, February 18, 2010

Todd Hido Visits RIT

Last Thursday, RIT's School of Photographic Arts and Sciences (SPAS) had the great pleasure of welcoming photographer Todd Hido for a portfolio review and lecture.

Each student participating in the review had about 12-15 minutes to discuss their work. I showed my thesis work-in-progress at the review and received some great feedback! Here are my work prints, laid out on the table, before Mr. Hido's arrival:


Before reviews began, Todd was kind enough to show us the book dummy for his upcoming book A Road Divided.


My fellow classmate, Lisa Adamucci shows her work:


Thursday evening, Todd presented his work, as part of the Charles Arnold Lecture series:


A fantastic pairing: Mr. Hido's images grace the covers of the new editions of Raymond Carver's collections of stories such as Cathedral and Will You Please Be Quiet, Please?


I'll never forget my first introduction to Todd Hido's work as a junior at George Mason University, in my professor's PowerPoint presentation about contemporary photographers. I immediately fell in love with the nighttime portraits of houses, which influenced the creation of my Abandoned Houses series. It was delightful, to say the least, to meet the man behind the photographs!

No comments: